Sunday, December 11, 2011

My Favorite Christmas Carols That Aren’t Considered Classics


Little Linda sitting on Santa's lap, ca. 1984

I love this time of year when radio stations start playing Christmas carols in November and homes and shops are decorated for the holidays. There’s something magical, dreamy and nostalgic about hearing Bing Crosby sing "White Christmas" or Gene Autry belt out "Here Comes Santa Claus". I vividly remember sitting in the back seat of my parent’s car (shout out to the 1985 Ford LTD LX!), on the way home from Christmas Eve Mass and listening to classic Christmas carols on the radio. I also remember listening to the reports that NORAD had spotted Santa’s sleigh over New York City, Cincinnati and Chicago, inching closer and closer to St. Louis. After a family dinner, my parents and I would head home and leave cookies (usually Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip) and milk (always Prairie Farms 2%) for Santa and carrots for his reindeer. 

The carols, the NORAD tracking and the fact that I would awake on Christmas morning to find that Santa and his reindeer had, in fact, finished the cookies and milk (and usually left a thank you note!) led me to believe in the magic of Santa until I was in the 8th grade! I digress...

The standard Christmas carols are everyone’s favorite, but I also like the lesser known Christmas tunes such as the 1997 duet between Kenny Rogers and Winona Judd “Mary Did You Know?” and Whitney Houston’s 1987 version of “Do You Hear What I Hear?” And, did anyone else’s family “dance the Christmas Polka?” Anyone?

What are some of your favorite quirky Christmas carols? Or, am I the only one with memories of the Monkees Christmas Melody?




2 comments :

  1. Here's a fun remake of the Bing Crosby and David Bowie Peace on Earth starring Will Ferrell as David Bowie and John C. Reilly as Bing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJBFD-Wvc7U Here's the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXjbI3kRus

    Thanks, City Diva for some great Christmas music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I love Will Ferrell as David Bowie! He nailed David's hair, singing and creepy vibe.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! After a brief review, you should see your comment appear shortly.